Share Your Views
The Allowance Commissioner invites public input on any aspect of his mandate to determine the amount and the method for the payment of allowances to registered political parties. In order to focus the input provided by interested individuals and organizations, the Commissioner invites written comments on the following topics:
- What kinds of political party activities should be eligible for public funding under the allowance system?
- The Act states that the allowances are meant to assist parties in defraying their "administrative and certain operating costs". What kind of expenses should fall within these categories?
- The Act states that expenses for advertising and polling will not be covered by the allowance system. Should other types of activities or expenses be excluded as well?
- The Act also states that the allowances are meant to assist parties with the costs they incur in complying with election financing legislation. Should the allowance system also assist political parties with compliance costs under other legislation, such as The Election Act?
- The Act authorizes the Commissioner to establish the total amounts to be provided to political parties. In addition to administrative, operating and compliance costs, what other factors should the Commissioner take into account in deciding the amounts that should be provided to political parties?
- The Act authorizes the Commissioner to decide how the total spending under the allowance system will be allocated among eligible registered political parties. What factors should the Commissioner take into account in deciding the amounts that should be provided to political parties? Should the allocations be formula based (e.g. number of votes received in the previous general election, number of votes received over several general elections, number of Members elected, number of candidates nominated in the previous election, amount of funds raised privately by the party, or some other formula)?
- Should allowances be paid only for the costs of clearly specified activities, only with documented evidence of expenses, with a cap or ceiling on the total amount to be paid, or without restrictions?
- Should allowances be paid once a year or in installments?
- Should allowances be adjusted annually to reflect cost of living increases (i.e. CPI) or should adjustments only be made every 4 years when the next Commissioner reviews party allowances?
- What public reporting, monitoring and accountability requirements should be established for the allowances to ensure the responsible use of public funds, as well as public understanding and acceptability?
- The Act provides the Commissioner with the discretion to identify other considerations that might shape the design of the allowance system. What other factors should be considered?
Opinions and recommendations on these topics and any other related matters should be submitted by January 11, 2013
Send comments to the following email address:
by regular mail to:
Public Input on Annual Political Party Allowance
1035 - 405 Broadway
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3L6
you may click on the link below and provide your comments.